Woodfire at Westerlands
Our flagship site, this is where Woodfire began in 2018, when our boys were little and we wanted to set up a gastro campsite because we loved cooking and camping! A large paddock on a former stud farm; hazy hills rolling off into the distance; Griff in his outdoor kitchen tending fires at various stages; Stella welcoming new arrivals and pouring the wine (only occasionally for herself).
- a chilled weekend. Once you’ve pitched up, you don’t need to get back in the car. Breathtaking views, gentle walks, country pubs, a great village shop, all within easy reach on foot.
- trying a new activity. Horse riding, guided mountain bike trails (bike hire available) and – new for 2024 – a wild sauna, plunge pool and treatments – all directly from the campsite.
- new and experienced campers. Old hands will love the space, views and facilities; new campers will love all of the above plus the on-site cooking, pre-pitched tents and hosting.
Woodfire at Chapel Field
We’re opening up this big, beautiful NEW field at Firle for summer camping 2024. Expect all the classic Woodfire touches – lovely hosts, gorgeous facilities and great food cooked over fire – in a stunning new location. Find out more!
- Exploring on foot. Stunning walks, pubs, great places to eat, world-class culture and things to do with for young children, all in easy walking distance.
- Families, foodies and the child-free. There’s lots of space, big skies, lovely views and plenty of room between pitches. The cultural meccas nearby and great food are a bonus, but whatever your age, relax, run around and rope-swing in the nearby woods.
- Outdoor fun. Kayaking, paddleboarding, beaches and lovely walks, all straight off the campsite or within a 20-minute drive – and for the really adventurous, there’s hang-gliding down the road.
Woodfire at The Round Hill
Imagine having your own field to caper around with your mates for a couple of days… a lovely spot right on the Downs, just for you. Pre-pitched glamping + BYO tents; food cooked over fire; hot showers, campfires and dark night skies.
Keep it simple or add on a private chef, silent disco, yoga, foraging…. However you get together, this lovely field is a magical place to spend time with the people you want to spend time with.
- Chilled gatherings. Ideal for a large group of friends wanting their own space to relax in nature; simple weddings, birthday celebrations or just hanging out with your nearest and dearest.
- Adventurers – reachable only by a farm track or off-piste from Firle Beacon, you feel like you’ve left the world behind (even though the car-park is 3 minutes’ walk away).
Our campsite cooking
Our delicious, hearty food has earned us a reputation as the country’s first ever gastro campsite. Using local, seasonal and top-quality ingredients from the high-welfare farms kitchen gardens, woods and fields surrounding us, we are proud to showcase the fantastic produce that Sussex and the South Downs has to offer. All our food is freshly prepared, cooked over fire and shared at trestle tables overlooking wonderful views.
We began cooking for campers on Friday nights, knowing from experience that travelling from work, putting up a tent (usually with a row) and then having to produce a meal can test the most patient of souls. We now cook breakfast and supper most days for our campers, and also host ticketed one-off dining events where we collaborate with some amazing chefs – see our Feasts page. But whatever the occasion, our key ingredients stay the same: relaxed outdoor dining with friends as the sun sets over the hills and the kids play nearby (though not too near).
Most days that we are open (and always at weekends), we cook breakfast and supper for our campers. We all share the same dish for evening meals, (though with meat or plant-based/non-dairy options) and can sit together or apart at long trestle tables.
We contact you a week or so before your stay with the menu and ask for your orders in advance to avoid waste. Prices range from between £9-£16 per portion and we do half portions at half price. We’ll always try to do a bit more in case the delicious smells lure some late-comers, but once it’s gone, it’s gone!