Ever daydream about being outdoors more, doing something you love and living more simply?
We did. After a couple of decades slumped in front of screens, the absurdity of modern life hit us both and so, five years ago, we set up Woodfire.
The change has been better than we ever could have imagined. We meet so many interesting and amazing people, cook and eat delicious food and live in a way that is sustainable yet feels luxurious. We wake to birdsong, feel the grass under our bare feet and the sun warm on our backs as we go about our jobs. OK… maybe the sun’s not always shining, the birds seem to be getting up earlier every morning and I’m a big fan of knitted socks, but the knowledge that we’ll never have to sit through another sales update meeting provides a lovely warm buffer to whatever nature throws at us.
And we know we’re not unique. More and more people are realising they can live and work differently and that they too want to make a change. So many of you tell us that what we do is your dream too.
So now we’re offering the chance to try it out, without having to give up your day job (yet).
Our sites were created by campers, for campers. But now we’re growing and we need more campers to help us run them! There’s so much we want to do; so many exciting projects and people we want to connect with. We want to build a like-minded tribe who shares our love of being outdoors, eating great food, and welcoming others to do the same. So if you’re interested in dipping a toe without fully taking the plunge, get in touch!
We’re particularly looking for people to run mostly our second site at Firle in East Sussex this year – either a consistent manager or people who can commit to several weekends and time over the school holidays this year as part of a team. Job description below – we’re looking forward to hearing from you!
Position: Camp Manager, Woodfire Camping
We are looking for managers to work and stay at our beautiful off-grid Sussex campsites. Our camping season runs from Easter to October, mostly over weekends and school holidays and the positions are likely to suit a couple wanting to spend the summer outdoors and try a different way of living.
Contract: Six month fixed term (with possibility of extension) starting asap!
Woodfire is a small business with a big vision – to make people feel at home, outdoors. We started in 2018 and have since become recognised by the national press for our great food, feasts and camping ethos. We base everything we do on four key tenets: sustainability, generosity, comfort, and health.
Sustainability – we built our campsite to represent and respect the land that it sits on. We try to employ the most sustainable processes in everything we do, from the way we use water through to the composting of our waste. Our buildings are made from locally felled timber, the food we cook comes directly from local suppliers and our aim is to leave as little trace as possible and help our campers do likewise.
Generosity – we want our guests to feel at home, partly because it’s lovely to see people enjoying themselves and also because we know hospitality and generosity breed the same in return. Generosity cultivates an atmosphere of mutual respect and it’s this sense of belonging we want our guests to feel at Woodfire, so they leave feeling they’ve been part of something unusual and remarkable.
Comfort – we want people to ‘feel at home, outdoors’, and to see that being outside and in nature doesn’t have to mean roughing it. If anything, it’s pure luxury. But to those luxuries of nature, we add some touches like our nostalgic aesthetics – ‘70s china and old-school bacon & egg sarnies – to the ‘spa-like’ (The Guardian) outdoor showers and conveniences like phone charging points, to demonstrate that you can do everything outdoors that you can indoors, and it’s better! Perhaps our most important USP is the amazing food that we serve – way beyond the level that anyone would expect from a campsite – and this delivers extraordinary comfort and pleasure to our guests.
Health – it’s proven that being outside is beneficial to mental and physical health; this is widely recognised from the ancient Japanese culture of Forest Bathing to the NHS’s growing prescriptions for time outdoors. We know from being onsite that our physical and mental health are better and we want to make this possible for others to discover too.
As we approach our 2024 season, we are ready to expand Woodfire with new campsites and initiatives planned. We are looking for great team members to join the growing business.
The primary responsibility of the Camp Manager(s) is to enhance the experience of our campers and ensure their well-being.
The Camp Manager(s) are responsible for creating a welcoming, generous atmosphere for our guests as well as ensuring their safety and security and that of the campsite. The relaxed, informal atmosphere for campers requires considerable effort from the manager of the site and it is job that requires involvement, flexibility, people skills and organisation.
We are looking for friendly, proactive and responsible managers with common sense, who understand the ethos of Woodfire and are prepared to fulfil our guests’ high expectations. We are a small business which is built on mutual support and encouragement. While we will always be on hand to assist you in the bigger decisions and provide you with guidance and training, we expect our managers to take on most of the responsibility of the day-to-day running of the site. We open only at weekends and during school holidays and managers would be required to stay onsite themselves whenever we have guests.
This is a highly rewarding job that provides the unusual opportunity to get back to nature, get outdoors and enjoy the stunning British countryside in a convivial atmosphere.
Please note the following:
- The campsite may be off-grid, so no mains electricity
- You will need to love camping and being outdoors
- Owning your own vehicle is a must
- The job involves cleaning and some lifting and carrying
- The job would suit a couple or pair of friends who could share responsibilities
- All training will be provided
Key duties included but not limited to (depending on site):
Guest arrival and hosting:
- Manage online bookings, liaise with guests via email before arrival
- Welcome guests on arrival and check them in
- Manage car parking and tent pitching according to bookings
- Outline site rules, facilities, safety procedures etc.
- Provide with required campfire supplies
Pre-pitched tents preparation & cleaning (if applicable)
- Allocate tent to guests per incoming bookings
- Clean and tidy tent prior to guest check- in
- Ensure supplies replenished
- Maintenance as required
Campsite cleaning and maintenance
- The whole campsite should be well presented at all times
- Toilets, showers, and kitchen checked and cleaned morning and evening
- Compost toilet waste disposal via Environmental Health standard procedures (not as bad as it sounds!)
- Ensure site and facilities are serviced and Health and Safety-compliant
- Ensure the campers have an enjoyable stay
- Supervise the campsite and maintain safe practices
- Ensure the low noise policy is observed
- Stack firewood when delivered
- Repair and maintenance work around campsite
- Manage and respond to reviews
- Manage rotas for any other on-site staff
- Manage suppliers (as required)
Timing & commitment
- The position(s) will be
- from April – September.
- In April the focus is on setting up the campsites, maintenance and building projects, depending on skill-sets.
- Salary is dependent on experience and will be discussed on application.
As Manager, you will be expected to stay onsite in a tent (which we’ll provide), along with your own campfire, table, chairs etc. We supply you with firewood for cooking and a great adventure living off-grid in the lovely Sussex countryside. We provide a mobile phone for work related use.
- To be hard working, diligent, responsible and friendly
- To own a driving licence and have your own vehicle
- To enjoy interacting with people, including children, and have a strong customer focus
- To love the outdoors and camping/ living outside.
- To be physically fit and active – there is a degree of lifting and moving of heavy objects required
- To be practical with good general maintenance and DIY skills
- The job would suit a couple or pair who share the responsibilities
- Some experience in the hospitality industry would be helpful
How to apply: Please email an updated CV and/or letter outlining relevant experience to:
PS we have various roles available this season, so whether you’re looking for a full-time seasonal role or something more part-time, please do get in touch. Drop an email to email@example.com with a little information about yourself and how you think you could help and we’ll get back!